Animal cruelty. Both in the capitalist food industry and in general, to dogs and cats and many other creatures. That is one of those things that is too horrible for me to think about. If I were king of the world and could stop it, I would. But horrors that only send me into deep depression and revulsion over my species, I have to block to function. Horrors I can't change at all. Or horrors I could opt out of but can't bring myself to without depression. Actually, there is a big difference between the two. "I cannot bear to contemplate this constantly; therefore, I continue to participate in it" – the conclusion does not follow from the premise. Simone Weil calls this the limits of attention, Raimond Gaita the inability to remain fully present to every instance of suffering, and I am guilty of it. If I buy factory-farmed dairy, my individual abstention changes almost nothing, true. Yet it is still true that I am participating in the practice. I have long thought and made many arguments for doing what is right even when our action has almost no measurable effect.
. . .
Still, it is
complex. Centuries and centuries of
dietary habits and culture, natural to our species in the sense that animals
and diary were essential parts of people's diet. True, tradition by itself is
not justification. The obvious analogy is slavery, for centuries slavery was
woven into ordinary life, which in no way justifies it of course. The point I
want to make is different. Human beings evolved within mixed agricultural
cultures where relationships with domesticated animals formed part of ordinary
life. Human beings did not merely consume animal products for millennia; they
developed forms of life in which husbandry, dairying, cooking, feasting, and
the pleasures of eating became woven into family life, hospitality,
celebration, memory, and culture. These are not merely biological habits but
elements of human flourishing. To relinquish them is therefore not like
changing brands of toothpaste. It can feel like relinquishing part of one's way
of inhabiting the world. I could go on and on about the meaning of food in my
life and how it connected and connects to my great-grandparents, grandparents,
parents, whole family, local culture. It gives roots. It is a part of who I am,
who we are.
You can live biologically without diary,
say, just as you can live without physical love just fine or only engage in it
to procreate. But the pleasure of eating is a part of Lebensfreude (joy of
life) for most people (as the pleasure of physical love is for others, apart
from its biological function). I just made the point that this pleasure can go
deep, that such people are not pure selfish hedonists, that the pleasure is
bound up with meaning and flows into the love of life and the world. Giving up
those pleasures can therefore depress people, which is also not a justification
of them, strictly speaking. There are people that get nothing from sex and so
celibacy takes nothing away from life. I almost want to say some people know no
such pleasure in food as I have described, are celibate with respect to food,
so to speak. Such people could condemn
without knowing exactly what they were condemning. They could condemn out of
resentment even. Which again, doesn’t entail their veganism is wrong.
Some vegans no doubt act against
meat-eating from deeper moral sources, the love of animals, the hatred of
cruelty, the love of the world and even humanist. They may move us sinner to
have a guilty conscience, as did the Abolitionists those who tolerated slavery.
Some advocates communicate in ways that express moral superiority, and that
often provokes resistance rather than reflection; their self-righteousness
makes most sinners hate them, seeing it as an “I am better than you” thing.
Regardless, there is a deeply moral and theological issue there. (Of course,
there are also self-righteous Christians, environmentalists, conservatives, and
progressives. That is not peculiar to veganism. That is just human-all-too-human.)
. . .
Gluttony – love of food superseding love
of higher things – is a sin. I’ll spend a million years with the Gluttons in
Purgatory, no doubt – and I don’t intend that to be flippant. I am guilty of
gluttony to some extent and that does detract from, alienate me to an
extent from, my life with food, my culture of food.
Moving the world toward organic farming
and much less meat and diary is a reasonable goal for me. I cannot see that “meat
is murder.” I think of Cora Diamond’s thought of the horror at seeing chickens
in cages on a truck transport, but then the qualitatively different horror of
seeing a human toddler in one of those cages. It is simply not intelligible for
me to confess before a priest to the murder of a chicken after eating chicken
soup for a cold, or be tried by a jury and sentenced to prison. It is
intelligible to confess for participating in what I witnessed of a factory slaughterhouse
for chickens when I was eleven years old. That was a desecration. Despite
seeing with my own eyes those horrors, I still eat chicken soup, often not with
organic chicken because I cannot afford it and yet am not willing or able to
live without it.
I
think, if things go well, in 100 years or so people will recoil in horror from
our treatment of animals as we recoil from the medieval practice of torture.
Think of how we now regard public executions, slavery, child labor, bear-baiting,
or certain medical experiments. I suspect they will judge factory farming in
the same way.
To me this is really about two competing
intuitions. One is almost Platonic or Christian: namely, love should widen
until it includes vulnerable creatures. The other is that we are also creatures
of this world, creatures of the flesh, who need to love life and the world to
flourish. And bodily pleasure, subjected to cultural restraints, to moral
restraints, to community and ecological restraints, bind us to the earth and to
life. Hard for us alienated folk dominated by capitalism to grasp that.
In me there is a tension between two extremes, moral purity and moral complacency. I believe that there is real guilt, real tragedy, and real human weakness in these matters, and that we must try our best to live honestly in the lives we were thrown into to, so to speak. A critic may conclude that this honesty does not excuse continued participation in factory farming. But I do not think they could accuse me or people like me of indifference. This is moral disagreement and not rationalization.
Again I think of Wendell Berry. Berry criticizes industrial
animal agriculture like few others but he would resist reducing eating to
nutrient intake. A meal belongs to an ecology of home, land, friendship,
gratitude, and memory. I also think of Aristotle, who does not think the
pleasures accompanying good activities are embarrassing additions to life.
Rather, the right pleasures complete the activity. The pleasure of a shared
meal, like the pleasure of friendship or music, is part of the flourishing
life. That does not settle the ethical question, but it explains why asking
someone to give it up is asking for a genuine sacrifice, not merely a dietary
adjustment.
There is also an
important distinction between asceticism from puritanism. The Christian
tradition has always valued fasting and renunciation. But the purpose is not
that food is bad. Quite the opposite. Food is good enough that voluntarily
giving it up can become a spiritual discipline. If cheese were morally
equivalent to poison, abstaining from it would have little significance. The sacrifice presupposes the goodness of the thing sacrificed. I
am saying that delight in food belongs to gratitude for creation. The danger is
not delight itself but what the Christian tradition calls gluttony, that is, allowing
the love of food to displace the love of higher goods. The deepest tension is
that industrial dairying/meat involves suffering that corrupt precisely those
goods of gratitude and delight. One might therefore say that the problem is not
cheese but the conditions under which much modern cheese is produced. The
answer is not necessarily never to eat cheese again, but to recover forms of
agriculture in which our delight in food is no longer purchased at the cost of
hidden cruelty. Whether that recovery is practically possible on a large scale
is another question, but philosophically it is a coherent aspiration.
Finally, I think of the Christian concept of
repentance, which does not necessarily require immediate perfection but for
starters refusing to lie to oneself about the good.
No comments:
Post a Comment