(Some parts of this presuppose my previous entry.)
I have been trying
to make sense out of the Book of Matthew and I might communicate my thoughts
about it later. Trying to forget the heat in my non-airconditioned place, I
also did something dangerous for mental health this morning: checked the news
(usually AP). Some unusual reporting
there, an article about a textile worker also suffering in the heat. There used
to textile workers in my home region of Kentucky, but those jobs were “outsourced.”
The article reported on a man named Sibaram Pradhan, a 35-year-old textile
worker who left his home in Odisha and traveled about 2,000 kilometers to Surat
in western India to find work. Farming in his home region has become
increasingly difficult because of floods, cyclones, and unreliable weather, so
he supports his family by working in a large textile factory. He lives in a
crowded dormitory with many other migrant workers, sharing a small room with up
to nine men. The building houses hundreds of workers, and many people share
only a few toilets. The rooms are hot and poorly ventilated, and he often wakes
several times during the night because of the heat. During the day he works
twelve-hour shifts supervising textile machines that weave polyester fabric.
The factory is extremely noisy, hot, and humid. He spends much of the day
drenched in sweat while moving between machines, replacing spools of thread,
and watching for problems. The work requires constant attention because
accidents can happen when workers become tired, and injuries to hands and
fingers are not uncommon. Despite the long hours, he earns only a modest wage,
much of which he sends home to his wife and two children. Although the work
allows him barely to support his family, he hopes his children will have
different opportunities. He wants them to stay in school and find safer, more
secure jobs so that they will not have to endure the same hardships he faces
every day. Well, I did’t feel like whining about the lack of AC after reading
this.
Reading the news is dangerous because it inevitably
leads to a further breakdown of my defense mechanisms, and I think about the
heat wave now (global warming / cars, computers, planes, etc.); the mention the
phenomenal corruption of the current administration, it’s attempts to install a
pop-fascist regime, and the rise of populist-fascist movements all over the
place: the cruelty to suffering people who immigrate; I just wrote of the fate
of the animals under human control; at another level, working people put
through “austerity” for the sake of "growth" i.e. the getting bigger
of the gigantic piles of money that are multinational corporations and the
billionaires who control them; the never-ending Russian war to colonize Ukraine;
a UN report on the horrors inflicted on the children of Gaza by the Israeli military/government,
supported by American tax dollars (and all the other dead children and innocents
everywhere in that cursed part of the world – the girls school in Iran). Etc.
It’s just overwhelming. I want to crawl back into my little world and forget it
all so that I can do something life-affirming with this day.
What
does this have to do with Matthew? One passage: What you do to the least of
your brethren, you do to me (Matthew 25:40-45). That passage might be the most powerful in the
Bible. In any book. Ever thought. What does it mean practically?
. . .
I want to make a point but for myself need
to lay out the theological background, grossly over-simplified. In Judeo-Christian
understanding (not, interestingly, in Islam, which insists on the complete
otherness of Creator and Creature, as I understand it) the human being (Adam)
is created in the image of God. Obviously, not in a physical sense as God is
not a physical creature. The imago Dei (image of God) means that creatures
uniquely participate in divine life through their capacity for truth, freedom,
love, and relationship with God, Creation, and other people.
The imago Dei is
both a gift and a vocation: every person possesses an inherent dignity that
transcends utility or social status but is also called to become more fully
what he or she already is through participation in truth, goodness, and divine
love. The doctrine means that every human being is more than a biological
organism, consumer, worker, citizen, or social role; each person bears a depth
and sacredness that points beyond the finite world toward God. In my words,
drawing on a long tradition of interpretation, I am an image of God in that I
share God’s being (finitely): I have the potential to understand and to love.
Sin, which, restricting the concept to self, is to say, separation,
disconnection, alienation from this capacity, my ego-consciousness in other
words, darkens the image but cannot destroy it. In Christian thought, Jesus is
the perfect image of God, the perfect Adam.
And now the radicality of Matthew 25:40 bites:
what you do to the least of your brethren, you do to me, to Christ, to
God. You cut yourself off from God by cutting yourself off from other human
beings, from textile workers like Sibaram Pradhan. We’re connected in reality
even if we are blind to it in this life due to the wounded relationship. Christ
is thus present – however darkened – in the face of every suffering human
being. However much you train yourself to try to see Christ/God in the face of
others, suffering or not, you can never succeed. It is the relation of the circles
we draw to the ideal geometrical circle that judges all real circles, which
necessarily fall short. But you can try to get better, if you take that image
seriously, which I guess few do, few can. Not sure I can or do.
There are secular ways to express solidarity
with other human beings, but I will just assert they wouldn’t be fully intelligible
with something like this theological background.
This is theology. It is abstract, a mere
skeleton without the flesh of experience. Consider a few examples in addition to the AP
reporting.
A dying parent
with advanced dementia no longer remembers your name, cannot reason coherently,
contributes nothing economically, and may not even recognize his own children.
Yet many people who love him – and that love can be the love of a saint as well
as a family member – experience a powerful conviction that he remains someone
to whom reverence is due. Not merely a living organism, but someone. The
dignity seems to survive the collapse of the very capacities often cited as
constitutive of personhood. That experience is one place where many encounter
what Christians mean by the image of God.
Or the moment in
Dead Man Walking that has moved so many readers and viewers. A murderer
awaiting execution has committed terrible crimes and appears to have forfeited
his humanity. Yet Sister Helen continues to address him as a person whose worth
has not been exhausted by his deeds. She does not deny his unimaginable guilt.
Rather, she refuses to identify him completely with it. Something remains that
deserves love even there. That "something" is very close to what the
tradition is trying to express.
One sees a
photograph of a wounded child in a war zone. What is striking is not merely
that suffering is occurring. Animals suffer too. Rather, one experiences the
suffering as a violation, as though something sacred were being desecrated. The
response is not only pity but a sense that "this should not happen to a
being like this." The language of rights, utility, or social contracts
often seems too thin to capture the depth of the reaction.
Primo Levi's
account of Auschwitz is another negative revelation of the imago Dei, perhaps
the most moving I know of. The camp did not merely inflict suffering or death;
it systematically sought to strip away everything associated with personhood.
Prisoners were reduced to numbers, deprived of names, possessions, families,
privacy, meaningful work, and even the ability to care adequately for their own
bodies. Just too terrible to imagine. Hunger, exhaustion, fear, and humiliation
became instruments of domination. The aim was not simply to kill but to
transform persons into things to make the killing industrial. Yet Levi's
testimony is filled with moments in which humanity reappears: a shared piece of
bread, a remembered poem, an act of kindness, the refusal to betray another
prisoner. These moments matter because they reveal something the camp could not
completely extinguish. From the perspective of the imago Dei, Auschwitz
represents denial the sacred worth of the human person, while the survival of
compassion, memory, and moral responsibility testifies to a dignity that
persists even amid radical degradation.
And then there
is the Cross, which is also a revelation. It says something sublime about human
worth. Christianity claims that God identifies himself not with the successful,
healthy, beautiful, and powerful, but with a tortured, humiliated, abandoned
victim. That is why the Cross and Matthew 25:40 belong together. If Christ is
found in the crucified one, then the image of God is revealed not only in human
excellence but also in human vulnerability. A healthy child running through a
field bears the image of God. So does the dying prisoner. So does the refugee. So
does the lonely elderly woman in a nursing home.
So does the
person who has become dependent, confused, frightened, and weak. The image is
not what remains after suffering is removed. It is what suffering cannot
finally destroy. The image of God is disclosed whenever a human being appears
to us as more than a thing, more than a function, more than a role, more than
an “identity,” as someone whose reality exceeds every description, whose worth
cannot be measured, and whose suffering feels like a wound in the fabric of the
world itself. The theology is rooted in our deepest experiences. In the
Christian story, that image is revealed most fully not in triumph but in the
face of the crucified Christ, who identifies himself with "the least of
these." (Aristotle, Nietzsche, others would find this slave morality.)
There is also a quieter side of the imago
Dei, which appears in moments that have nothing directly to do with suffering:
a father watching his sons sleep, a student suddenly grasping a difficult idea,
a Bach fugue, a line of Dostoevsky that sheds light on one's life, a walk
through woods at dusk, gratitude that seems larger than any object for which
one is grateful. In such moments one senses not merely survival but
participation in truth, beauty, and love. These, too, are traces of the image
of God, for they reveal the soul's orientation toward realities that transcend
utility and self-interest. They remind us not only what human beings must be
protected from, but what they are for and why it matters that the image of God
in us gets darkened.
Any instance of
lucid, non-sentimental love reveals the image of God, whatever that mystery
amounts to. Otherwise, as science assures us, we would be nothing more than a
collection of elements obeying bio-chemical and physical laws, a tale told by
an idiot, full of sound of fury, signifying nothing.
. . .
Back to the common experience I suffered
through this morning – being overwhelmed by all the evils of the world of which
one senses one is somehow a part of without being able to do much of anything
about them, so blocking them out to function and even to preserve some sense of
the love of life and the world, of joy. For me, space for my children,
philosophy, teaching, literature, enjoying food, a Sunday nap, the beauties of
nature that still remain, friends, less walking these days due to my health but
maybe one day that again.
It is hard not to connect the evils I
mentioned, among many others, to the structure of whatever global capitalism
has mutated into. It is not a matter of whether markets or property are useful,
of whether some real human goods are being produced in this system, or of going
back the socialism that existed in the USSR. Markets are useful as long as they
stay in the marketplace and don’t take over the whole city including the
family. Property is human in the form
of, say a family farm; it means something totally different when we’re talking
about controlling a huge share of stock in a giant tech corporation. I am
talking about the real-existing system behind all the evils I mentioned above,
from the heating up of the earth to the oppression of working people to the
corruptions of politics to the horrors inflicted on animals to the to the
pollution of the oceans to the loss of topsoil to the immiseration of perhaps
billions of human beings. And people who have carved out a decent life in this
system, as I have, are at some level implicated in it, by choice, against one’s
will, mostly blindly, thoughtlessly. Which brings me to the powerful passage in
Matthew: 19:40. And to the Psalm de profundis. Hyper-moralism?
. . .
What you do to the least of your
brethren, you do to me. Globalization has made visible connections that
were invisible to previous generations. The Indian textile worker, the child in
Gaza, the migrant at a border, the elderly person living alone in Berlin, the
sweatshop worker making electronics, the victims of climate change all can
suddenly appear as neighbors. The difficulty is that Matthew 25:40 was written
for creatures with finite powers but infinite responsibilities. We can now know
about suffering on a planetary scale while remaining unable to do much about
most of it. Which creates a moral burden unknown to earlier ages. Overwhelming.
There is a distinction between
responsibility and culpability. We may have some responsibility toward a
suffering child in Gaza or an suffering worker in South Asia, but we are not
equally culpable for that suffering. We may be entangled in structures that
contribute to exploitation, but that does not make us morally identical to
those who designed, profit from, or deliberately perpetuate those structures.
One reason Christians developed doctrines
about sin, prudence, vocation, and limits was precisely because otherwise
Matthew 25:40 becomes psychologically unbearable. The point is not that we are
guilty of every suffering we cannot prevent or are implicated in. The point is,
I think, that our relation to God (or the Good) cannot be separated from our relation
to the vulnerable. Simone Weil knew that no individual can answer all the
world's suffering. The obligation is absolute; our capacity is not. Wendell
Berry argues that our responsibilities are universal but our actions must be
local. We are responsible for the whole world in one sense, but we can only
faithfully act within particular relationships, places, and communities. And
yet my purchase of the shirt I can afford draws Sibaram Pradhan into my world.
. . .
I think of another important very in
Matthew – 19:24: And again I say unto you, It is
easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to
enter into the kingdom of God. The
rich young man who occasioned this wisdom is not condemned for personal
cruelty. His wealth itself has become a barrier. The camel and the eye of the
needle should be disturbing because riches are form of spiritual blindness. One
begins to live protected from the realities of others. That is the fuel that
drives capitalism. In that sense Matthew 19 and Matthew 25 belong together. The
one concerns the effects of too much money on the soul; the other concerns the
blindness to the suffering of Christ in the other.
To me – perhaps there is better
perspective – no one who takes these truths seriously can think that global
capitalism, or whatever label one attaches to this complex, mutating creature
of Mammon, is anything in overall tendency but a systematic desecration, a
reduction of any and everything naturally good. Christians who do not oppose it
are either blind, or ignorant, in the grip of a powerful ideology, or
hypocrites. I see no rational way to affirm it as it is. Perhaps it can be tame
and brought under rational, political, moral control. Perhaps he needs to go
the way of the socialism of the USSR. In any case, the problem is not commerce
per se but the subordination of all other goods to commerce, to the enrichment and
political power of the 1% at the expense of the world and the Creation.
What about this argument. Some of the
goods I cherish have themselves depended, in part, on the very system I
condemn. Reading presupposes books, which presupposes a certain kind of
economy. (Of course, socialism produced book, more affordable ones too. Just
the damn censor.) In raising my children I benefit from a very good infrastructure
here in Potsdam, much better than pre-industrial ones. Again, the best
socialist economies, even the bad ones under Soviet domination, had a passable
infrastructure. I suppose having access
to the medical care that has kept me alive through several recent setbacks is
the main thing I have for this system, which used to be somewhat tamed in
Germany to the benefit of people who work for a living. A defender of the
present capitalist system would ask: "Would this life have been available
to an ordinary person in 1300? 1700? 1850?" The answer is probably not. That
doesn’t refute my criticism but it does introduce an element of tragedy, the
prospect of losing genuine goods to save even more fundamental ones. The same
industrial order that produces sweatshops also produces antibiotics. The same
globalization that exploits workers also reduced certain forms of poverty in
parts of Asia. These benefits have come at too high a cost and I think most can
be preserved in a more decent economy, but one must acknowledge this. But no benefit
justifies evil done. I recall I have heard people defending Hitler by saying he
built the autobahn, gave the unemployed work and allowed Germans to feel
national pride again – yes, all the glorious pride parades. I don’t want to go
down to road of justifying evils as the price paid for some set of benefits.
And is oppressing workers like Sibaram Pradhan as necessary price for
antibiotics? I feel compelled to try to imagine alternative.
The Christian does not posit the absolute
dichotomy of the Kingdom of God versus Mammon. The world is fallen, even if it
retains some of its original beauty and goodness. Perhaps I should hesitate
before saying that Christians who do not oppose global capitalism are
necessarily blind, ignorant, ideological, or hypocritical. Some certainly are. But
others may be focused on the genuine goods brought about by the same system
that is destroying so much good. OK, bring the beast under rational, political,
moral control; make it responsible to local communities; make it respect human
dignity unconditionally. Then we can talk. Right now I feel that capitalism (as
it currently exists in the USA at least and globally in a sense) is very close
to Mammon. And we can’t serve two masters.
. . .
Yet, my (not
only my) normal mode of consciousness is to block all this out, to function and
to leave some space for Lebensfreude (joy of being alive), for my sons,
philosophy, good food, companionship, teaching, reading, writing, trees, water, sky, light. Part of me hate all
this not because I am a saint who loves God and humanity in any pure sense but
because it prevents me from innocently enjoying my private life and all the
little pleasures I hang on to. I suspect this is the normal mode of
consciousness of almost everyone who remains psychologically functional. Imagine,
for a moment, that Matthew 25:40 were not simply believed but experienced
continuously. Imagine walking through life feeling vividly present, at every
moment, the suffering of every child in Gaza, every lonely elderly person,
every exploited worker, every animal in industrial agriculture, every refugee,
every victim of war, every person dying alone. Perhaps the saint could endure
it but the saint is very rare. The psyche has filters for a reason. We all
block things out. The ego blocks things out, in other words, and mine is as fat
and relentless as the average person, if not as insanely inflated as some.
There is a forgetting that becomes
indifference but I hope there is also a forgetting that creates room for
fidelity. My sons. If I spent every waking moment contemplating the world's
suffering, I would have less attention available for them. Less attention for
the student sitting before me in a classroom. Less attention for a friend. Less
attention for philosophy, literature, and those moments of delight that make
life worth living. Love is finite in its concrete exercise even if its horizon
is universal. I cannot feed every hungry child; I can only prepare dinner for
my sons. I can’t comfort every lonely person but I can be attentive to the
person actually before me. I cannot save civilization but I can teach students
to think honestly and compassionately. That may sound like a retreat into the
local and a justification for my participation in a system I know tromps on the
face of God in millions and billions of my fellow mortals. I do not mean it
that way, or don’t want to mean it that way. It is simply an acknowledgment of
creaturely limits.
I don’t think the things I mentioned under
the heading of Lebensfreude (joy of life) are frivolous distractions from
morality. My children, philosophy, teaching, literature, walking, etc. These are not merely pleasures but goods
whose polluting I am lamenting when I criticize Mammon. The system I criticize
is objectionable precisely because it threatens forms of human flourishing such
as friendship, contemplation, beauty, family life, care for place, and genuine
education. If one sacrificed all those goods in order to maintain uninterrupted
awareness of suffering, one would paradoxically be surrendering some of the
very things one is trying to defend.
Attention to suffering is morally essential.
But reality contains more than suffering. There is also goodness, beauty,
friendship, affection, gratitude, wonder, and joy. To attend truthfully is to
attend to all of it. Even Matthew itself is not only judgment. It contains
wedding feasts, lilies of the field, birds of the air, children, forgiveness,
shared meals, friendship, and the promise that burdens can become light.
Perhaps joy is one of the things suffering threatens and therefore one of the
things worth preserving. A father laughing with his sons, a good class
discussion, a walk through the woods, a great novel, a Bach fugue, a
conversation with my friend – none of these solve the world's misery. But
neither are they acts of betrayal. They are small participations in the good
whose violation makes the misery tragic in the first place. But that doesn’t
help me with my affordable shirt and its connection to people like Sibaram
Pradhan, my chili and the animals in the industrial meat system – and on and on
and on. I wanted to deal with that, but honestly I am no closer to an answer
now than when I started.
No comments:
Post a Comment